Permits & Licenses Info

Marriage License

While you wait
Where to Apply:

Apply In Person


Remsen Town Clerk's Office

Remsen Town Hall

10540 Academy Lane

Remsen, NY 13438 


If you would like to schedule an appointment for a time that is most convenient for both parties, please call the main office at (315) 831-5558. 

The application process takes approximately 15 minutes and both parties must be present.



Obtaining A Marriage License

A couple who intends to be married in New York State, regardless of the residence of either of the parties, may apply in person for a marriage license at the Town of Remsen, Town Clerk's Office. The application for a license must be signed by both parties to be married in the presence of a clerk. A representative cannot apply for the license on behalf of the marriage couple. This applies even if the representative has been given a Power of Attorney. Notarized marriage license affidavits signed by persons to be married cannot be substituted for their personal appearance.


Proof of Age and Identity

A person is required to establish proof of age and identity by submitting to the issuing clerk ONE of the following age-related documents (ALL AGE-RELATED DOCUMENTS MUST BE ORIGINAL. Foreign documents must be translated to English and certified.):

1. Birth Certificate

2. Baptismal Record

3. Naturalization Record

4. Census Record


AND ONE of the following identity related documents (ALL IDENTITY-RELATED DOCUMENTS MUST BE ORIGINAL. All documents must be valid/un-expired.):

1. Driver's License

2. Passport

3. Employment Picture ID

4. Immigration Record


Cost of a Marriage License

The marriage license fee is $30.00, which includes the issuance of a Certificate of Marriage Registration. This certificate is automatically sent to the applicants within 15 days after the completed license is returned by the officiant (person who performs the marriage ceremony). It serves as notice that a record of the marriage is on file.

Payment may be made in cash or by local check or money order made payable to Remsen Town Clerk.

General Information

Is There a Waiting Period?

Yes. Although the marriage license is issued immediately, the marriage ceremony may not take place within 24 hours from the exact time that the license was issued.


How Long is the License Valid?

A typical marriage license is valid for 60 days, beginning the day after it is issued.


Is a Pre-Marital Physical Exam Required?

No pre-marital examination or blood test is required to obtain a marriage in New York State.


Where Can a Marriage Take Place?

A license issued by the Town of Remsen Town Clerk's Office may only be used within New York State. Please note that if you intend to be married outside of New York State you should contact that state's Vital Records Office for its requirements.


What About the Ceremony?

There is no particular form or ceremony required except that the parties must state in the presence of an authorized member of the clergy or public official and at least one other witness that they take one another as a married couple. There is a minimum age of 18 to be a witness.


Who can perform a marriage ceremony?

To be valid, a marriage ceremony must be performed by any of the individuals specified in Section 11 of the New York State Domestic Relations Law. These include:

  • the mayor of a city or village;
  • the former mayor, the city clerk or one of the deputy city clerks of a city of more than one million inhabitants;
  • a marriage officer appointed by the town or village board or the city common council;
  • a justice or judge of the following courts: the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern or Western Districts of New York, the New York State Court of Appeals, the Appellate Division of the New York State Supreme Court, the New York State Supreme Court, the Court of Claims, the Family Court, a Surrogates Court, the Civil and Criminal Courts of New York City (including Housing judges of the Civil Court) and other courts of record;
  • a village, town or county justice;
  • a member of the clergy or minister who has been officially ordained and granted authority to perform marriage ceremonies from a governing church body in accordance with the rules and regulations of the church body;
  • a member of the clergy or minister who is not authorized by a governing church body but who has been chosen by a spiritual group to preside over their spiritual affairs;
  • other officiants as specified by Section 11 of the Domestic Relations Law.

The person performing the ceremony must be registered with the City of New York in order to perform a ceremony within the New York City limits. The officiant does not have to be a resident of New York State. Ship captains are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in New York State.


Previous Marriages

Information regarding previous marriages must be furnished in the application for a marriage license. Marriage license applicants whose previous marriage(s) ended in divorce, annulment or death of spouse, must provide proof of dissolution of all previous marriage(s) by presenting a certified copy of Decree of Divorce or a Certificate of Dissolution of Marriage filed with a court of competent jurisdiction or certified copy of Death Certificate for each previous marriage. This includes whether the former spouse or spouses are living, and whether the applicants are divorced and, if so, when, where and against whom the divorce or divorces were granted. ALL RECORDS REGARDING PREVIOUS MARRIAGES MUST BE CERTIFIED. NO PHOTO COPIES ALLOWED.


Surname Options

Every person has the right to adopt any name by which he or she wishes to be known simply by using that name consistently and without intent to defraud. A person's last name (surname) does not automatically change upon marriage, and neither party to the marriage is required to change his or her last name. The parties need not take the same last name.

One or both parties to a marriage may elect to change the surname by which he or she wishes to be known after the marriage by entering the new name in the appropriate space provided on the marriage license. The new name must consist of one of the following options:

  • the surname of the other spouse;

  • any former surname of either spouse;

  • a name combining into a single surname all or a segment of the pre-marriage surname or any former surname of each spouse;

  • a combination name separated by a hyphen, provided that each part of such combination surname is the pre-marriage surname, or any former surname, of each of the spouses.

    The use of this option will provide a record of your change of name. The marriage certificate, containing the new name, if any, is proof that the use of the new name, or the retention of the former name, is lawful. The local Social Security Administration office should be contacted so that its records and your social security identification card reflect the name change. There is no charge for this service.

    Whether you decide to use or not use this option at the time of your marriage license application, you still have the right to adopt a different name through usage at some future date. However, your marriage license cannot be changed to record a surname you decide to use after your marriage.

    If you plan to use your married name at work, be sure to have your Social Security records updated to reflect your change of surname, avoiding complications in payroll. It's easy and it's absolutely free. To do so contact any Social Secuirty Office. You will need documentary evidence showing both your old name and your new name.

© 2020 Town Of Remsen, Oneida County
P.O. Box 308
10540 Academy Lane
Remsen, NY 13438
Phone: 315-831-5558
Fax: 315-831-1000
Website Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to insure that information posted to this website is correct at the time of posting. However, meeting dates, times and places are always subject to change; it is recommended that you contact a local official or the representative of an event posted, for confirmation before attending. Content of this website, although checked for accuracy, is not warranted to be error-free. If you have any doubt, please contact the Town Hall for clarification. This site has links to other Government agencies. It also has links to other organizations' sites when there is a reason to do so. This linking does not constitute the Town of Remsen's endorsement of the content of other sites or of the policies stated therein.
Printed On February 19, 2020